Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The world was wet


I like rainstorms.
No, correction – I like lightning storms. Every time the sky flashes, I feel a pulse of hot purple electricity pump through my veins, just for a second, and it is magical.

The wind from my window came warm, wild, and smelled of young summer.

The sky in the distance rumbled, like the uneasily empty stomach of some terrible beast.

First there comes the flash of bright, impossible white that fills the sky, like God is taking a picture of the world.
Then, after the silence of sniggering raindrops comes the bellow of raw laughter. An invisible fist beats the taut skin of the sky like a drum, and the world just reverberates with the sound.

>>

It rained and thundered last night. Excited about our first thunderstorm of the year, I was awake at an hour way past being considered normal, by the light of my iPod, writing the above blurb in a notebook.
Summer is coming, and it is good. :D





Do you ever stay up past 12:00 just because you were suddenly struck with writing inspiration?
Do you like lightning storms?



4 comments:

  1. Aaaaaiiiiiiiieeee I like this. Such amazing imagery. "Young summer." "The sky in the distance rumbled, like the uneasily empty stomach of some terrible beast." "An invisible fist beats the tight skin of the sky like a drum." *screeeeeaaaaammmmm* Such beautiful words!

    I get most of my best ideas right when I go to bed, when my mind is still wide awake and buzzing. I used to hate thunderstorms, but now I rather like them, as long as everyone I know is safe indoors! I especially love the smell of thunderstorms.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, thank you, Lady Emily!! Aw', your words made me really happy.

      AUGH Yes, the eternal struggle of getting a good idea in the night and being like 'Is this worth getting up for to write this down?' XD

      Delete
  2. THIS IS SO GORGEOUS OH MY WORD! I love this!! Everything about this post is beautiful. :)

    -Abi-http://authorofmyhope11.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abigail!!! Ahh, you are so kind! :)
      By the way, thanks for the follow too!

      Delete