Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Hi... I Wrote a Poem About a Sandwich

After reading The Piano Girl's poem about a jar of peanut butter, I decided to share a piece of my homework with you. I had to write out a plotted poem (basically just a poem that has rising action, a climax, and falling action) for my Literature class. Naturally, my subject of choice was food. It's a little long and a little embarrassing, but oh well here we go. Hope you like it! XP

I laid out the bread, some cheese, some meat –
vegetables too, onions and beets
Added some green with lettuce and spinach,
For ‘twas lunchtime, and I craved a sandwich.

The cheese curled off the silver knife,
And I had to eat for quality of life
As the ham was layered, thick and moist,
My stomach made sure its hunger was voiced.

All assembled, and all present,
The sandwich I had made
Stood proud and stood scrumptious;
not an onion was mislaid.

As I took hold of the sandwich and breathed in the scent,
I knew my hunger had now reached its peak!
But ah, read on, please do, please do,
For the rest I am too sad to speak

Not my hollow stomach
Did the sandwich fill and restore;
‘Cause I did only what a person like I would –
I dropped it on the floor!

‘Tis good, thought I sadly,
watching the cat enjoy my lunch
That at least a meal went to someone hungry;
I’ll find something else to munch


//Your friendly neighborhood Embers//

4 comments:

  1. Awww yiss XDDD
    Loved it.
    *noms on expired peanut butter*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Glad you liked it!
      *pokes at floor sandwich*

      Delete
  2. I think that so often, poets try to write about complex subject matter like the evading of time, death and age. It's an uplifting, light-hearted change to see a poem about a sandwich. I particularly like your 5th stanza!

    What grade did you end up getting for this task?

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! Haha, yep, I love writing about seemingly ordinary life occurrences and making them feel like they deal with life-and-death consequences. X)

      Well actually, I'm homeschooled, and my mum hasn't gotten around to marking this poem yet. XD But I'm hoping for an A!

      Delete