Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My Summer Reading Challenge!

All right! This summer, I'm challenging myself to read some classics of literature. As you can tell from the picture, on my reading list is Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
I'm a huge fan of Lord of the Rings. I've watched the movies (and all extended cuts – 11 hours of pure magical Middle Earth!) but I've never acquainted myself with Tolkien's actual work. Currently I'm about seventy pages into the Fellowship of the Ring. So far I'm loving it! Tolkien had such a crisp, simple way of writing.
One of my favorite lines of dialogue from Gandalf in the movie!

As for Fahrenheit 451, I've started it many times, but never actually finished the book. (It's sort of heavy to me – my mind needs a lot of time to process Ray Bradbury's incredible words.)
To Kill a Mockingbird is another book I've started (somewhat recently) but still haven't finished yet. Now that I've announced it, hopefully I will have more drive to finish reading both of these!

And also, I thought I'd put this in as a sidenote – as for more 'fun' reading, recently I have discovered the epicness of Doctor Who novels.
. . . 'Epicness' is totally a word, spellcheck. YOU DON'T CONTROL ME.
And now my life is complete.

Actually, my first encounter with a Doctor Who novel was Only Human, by Gareth Roberts. Gah, that book. Absolutely fantastic!! It's a story with the Ninth Doctor, my first and most favorite Cristopher Eccleston.
Prisoner of the Daleks, by Trevor Baxendale, is a story with the Tenth Doctor. I really enjoyed the story, though, just a warning, there are some scenes of strong violence. It's called Prisoner of the Daleks for a reason.
Dun-dun-DUN!!

So, grab yourself some chocolate raisins and curl up on the couch with a good book! Let me know if you have any more suggestions of classic books.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh!! I'm going to be reading To Kill A Mocking Bird for school next year! Its sounds very informational:) Right now I am reading Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. Its old and I'm finding it very dull so far. Its like 700 pages.....But I'll keep chugging along on it until I get completely tired of it:p Have you ever read Jane Eyre? That one might be good if you are looking for classics:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I actually forgot about Jane Eyre. Yes, that would be good classic to add to my list. Good luck reading Coming Home! Hopefully it will get more interesting. x)

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah!
    I tagged you:) http://reasonstosmile4jesus.blogspot.com/2015/06/3-tags.html

    ReplyDelete