Saturday, August 15, 2015

My Clockwork Wings

First of all, I've been making some major changes to my blog recently! (You probably noticed X) I'm still fiddling with bits of the layout and trying to get things to work and look nice, but so far I'm liking the new changes.

A few days ago I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick. Ahh, what a fantastic book! It's so different, and the story is rich and exciting. Inspired by Hugo's inventive mind and (well, frankly, the windup mouse), I wanted to try making a small wing model that could open and close just by one turning a knob at one end.

Naturally, I pulled out my parchment (paper stained with tea ;) and doodled some blueprints. I still have a LOT of bugs to work out, but it's fun tackling each problem.
Aaaand random song lyrics. You may ignore those.

If you see a way for improvement, let me know in comments! Hope you like them.

7 comments:

  1. The new design is quit nice, I like it.
    Aggghhh, I love that book. The illustrations in the one I read were quite enough to inspire anyone to try and invent things. XD
    The tea stains are a nice touch. XD What material are you thinking of using for the wing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, I know, right? Hugo is my current favorite book. X)
      That's the main thing I'm still trying to decide on – I'm thinking plastic Lego gears somehow attached to a metal frame. Still working it out! It's an ongoing process. XP

      Delete
  2. I really love your new design! Wow! You must really like to invent! That is an amazing talent to have! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yew, thank yew very much! :D I do love doodling blueprints of simple inventions.

      Delete
  3. "My Clockwork Wings" should be the title of an epic fantasy / steampunk novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *steampunk Edison's lightbulb lights up over head*

      Delete