Friday, September 18, 2015

Army of One – HTTYD Art


Hey, what do you know, this is my very first colored art piece of How To Train Your Dragon! I know – I have actually completed an art piece?! Yesh. Yesh I have. For the past few days I've been working on this drawing of Toothless.  Click the 'read more' to see the whole thing!



Ta-da!
The drawing was originally done on paper, which was scanned into my computer. I added the colors (in streaky transparency, just to try something new) on Seashore, a drawing program for the computer.
Here's the line art:
And then, as Adam Young would have put it, the colors fell like snow.

For a while I was debating about how to color the wings. Eventually they were left blank, with skeletal bones stretching between white nothing. Early color test:
The finished piece has no lines, just because after I finished coloring it the colors made such a nice image in themselves I liked it better without lines. Still... what'd you think?
To line or not to line... that is the question.

Anyway, that's my little Toothless, soaring like a boss. I called it Army of One because of this gorgeous song by East of Avenue that I binge-listened (binge-listened? ...Yep. Totally.) throughout the whole process. I thought it worked quite nicely with the last Night Fury known to man viking. Hope you like him! :)

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty! It looks rather Asian to me somehow ... maybe because the red butterflies are evocative of cherry blossoms ... :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Emily! Haha, I never thought about the Asian-esque aspect before! The red butterflies were actually put there because the paper cropped off Toothless's tail, and normally he has a prosthetic red tail that's iconic to HTTYD. So something red had to be done (but don't tell the butterflies that they're just filler for color ;)

      Delete
    2. Ahhhh :D. Don't worry, I shan't breathe a word to the butterflies!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I LOVE this! Good job!!!!! ❤︎

    -Caroline @ thecarabelleblog.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush* Thanks so much, Caroline!!
      Aah, and thanks for the follow as well! I'm glad you linked your blog here – I believe your old blog was deleted? I was having trouble finding it before.

      Delete